My Attention Deficit Discovery





This morning I read an article called "Attention Deficit Dating" and by the time I was finished reading, my eyes were swollen from crying. It was not a sad article, it was just tips to guys for dating someone who has ADD. 

Why was I crying you ask?

Up until grade two I could not read. My parents really struggled with it and I didn't know what was wrong with me. I found out that I had ADD and dyslexia. Things started to change for the better after that. I went to an after school program that helped me catch up to the other kids in my grade. After that I struggled with my concentration in class and exams but I had some excellent teachers along the way, I got really lucky to be completely honest. I had tried medication but they gave me severe depression so I learned to embrace my challenges without them. ANYWAYS I made out pretty well, I graduated high school with pretty good grades and went to college and currently have an amazing job. So I turned out fine. 

Outside of school, and just looking at my personality I never really related my behaviors to ADD other than being distracted.   I just thought I was different, and not in a negative way or anything but just different. 

Then, this article I read this morning pointed out things in myself that I had no idea was associated with ADD and it feels like being re-diagnosed. Honestly in some ways it's a massive weight being lifted off my shoulders. I'm not alone??  

The thing that stood out for me the most was :

"Be prepared for change at any moment.

So, you have plans to try a new restaurant and one hour before your reservation, your girlfriend calls and asks you to make a trip to the store for snacks and booze because she wants to host a game night, instead.

You can either get distressed about the fact you made dinner reservations weeks in advance or you can go with the flow, buy a cheeseboard, a bottle of scotch and race over for an impromptu evening of recreation with friends.

Change is inevitable, and in a relationship with someone who has ADD, change will be frequent.

People who resolve to follow strict schedules and meticulously concocted life plans will struggle with this aspect of the relationship the most.

For those particular individuals, it is important to note spontaneity can be the spice of life if you trust the unpremeditated process.

Your girlfriend may compulsively flip through channels on television or change the song on the radio, but her discontent with other things does not apply to your relationship."

 

This is the part when I started to cry, I'm always changing things in my life from my hair , my room, what I want in my future to the song on the radio. I just always thought that was a thing I did, I never suspected it had to do with my ADD and It feels nice to know I'm not alone.
If anyone reading this has ADD or knows someone who does, I HIGHLY suggest you give it a read. You may not have a life changing experience the way I did but there are some good tips and advice! I will post the Link below!

-Love Lauren

  



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author