Dad's 100 songs

When I was a kid my dad played the same 100 songs over and over again. I used to get frustrated with him for not branching out and adding new music to his library. Not that I didn't like every song that he played, and not that he wouldn't turn on the radio and listen to the "song of the day"... I guess what upset me was that he had his 100 songs and no other song was aloud in.

Growing up, as I established my own taste in music, I carried along my dads 100 songs with me through out the years.

I Collected songs that would some day be my 100 songs. As a soon to be 22 year old. I don't have a stable collection that I KNOW in  40 years I will still be playing. That said... dads 100 song will always be there.

From the swinging 20's to rock and roll in the 80's, music experienced so many firsts. Producers looked for new sounds and talented artists. Teenagers were rebellious and parents blamed the music. Of course my dad has a top 100 songs it makes sense, he got to experience his music in a world where there were no limits to what an artist could do and everyone was impacted, and the music was good, really fucking good.

The past decade and a half people got lazy. Blaming it on technology if you must but I truly believe that's an overused, tired, bullshit excuse.  Honestly, music is mindless, over marketed, auto-tuned clubbing bullshit and it seems as if all the "artists" on the radio were either on Barney, Disney or american idol .

 Why? why does every song have to have the same beat with (slightly) different lyrics and why is everyone okay with it.. why aren't more people offended/ disgusted that this shit is acceptable?
 
I think we are worth more then the music we get.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been one good song made in 16 years because that would be a bold statement. I've 100% found a few artists that have truly blown me away and even made dad look twice. What i'm trying to say is ...try not to be a sheep , turn off your radio for a day and look for songs that are not on the billboards. Support artists who deserve and need your support because they most likely wont make it with out you.

RANT OVER




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author